Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Well today is another day and it has been busy as every day seems to be at this time of year. People think being the end of the school year that everything winds down. Far from it. It seems to wind up if anything. New programs to write in what might be said to be stating the bleeding obvious. But from a positive note I think having to say in words that you know what you Are doing from a purely academic point of view should make you all the better as a teacher. Tomorrow I have several hours put aside to put down a new program for teaching Year 9 Romeo and Juliet Year 9 !4 - 15 year olds.

I like the planning aspect of the task, I just dislike the tediousness of having to put it all down in some logical sense. We know what we are doing, we have done it for years, so why now go to all this fuss to record it all in academic educational jargon. Any way its all got to happen tomorrow!!

I met a man today who had a daughter in my school this year. This man was telling me his wife had left him one year ago today. In that time he has been through his own private hell and is beginning to come out the other side. He is still wracked by questions he doesn't know answers to and he still can't understand what happened. But to his credit he is moving on.

He has entered another relationship and is feeling good about it. He has some plans for his future and is moving carefully with all he does.

I haven't decided to tell you his life story but rather to pose the question of why people you know only as acquaintances can tell you all this in a supermarket. I think he finds me an ally in his pain. And I am. Its a bit of been there done that. And I do like to listen, especially when I sense his need to talk.

This is the second time this week this has happened to me. Earlier in thew week had a discussion with a lovely woman who came to talk with me about peer mediation. It wasn't long before I found myself listening to her tell me about a case she had been involved in. I was fascinated but realised this lady needed to talk about what was happening to her.

Am i to be flattered by this? I think it is a compliment that these people who know me only scantly can talk with me in this way. I don't mind. But I do feel somewhat a fraud when I think of the vast number of insecurities i have and the failures that I have perpetrated in my life.

But the sinners are maybe the best ones to deal with this.

No comments: